Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Starbucks did not cause my miscarriage

So all over the news yesterday was this new study, stating that consuming high amounts of caffeine can double the risk of miscarriage. Despite the fact that this study comes from a reputable source (the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology) there are some flaws with it. It asked women to record what they consume, which obviously leaves room for error, plus it doesn't take into account the fact that women who consume high amounts of caffeine may also do other things that are risky, such as drinking alcohol or not taking pre natal vitamins. Plus, it only mentions large amounts of caffeine (200mg/day or 2 cups of coffee), not moderate amounts. Not to mention the fact that I have known of many women who cut out caffeine completely during their pregnancy and still miscarried.

That's not to say that this study is useless. It makes a lot of sense - caffeine is a stimulant and crosses the placenta, and can be dangerous for a tiny fetus' development. And it has certainly made me realize that I need to cut back on caffeine when I get pregnant again.

However, I worry that this is something that will continue to frighten pregnant women and make them feel that drinking caffeine will cause them to lose their babies. It's so easy to blame yourself for a m/c, even though it's not your fault. But if you're desperate for a "reason", this seems like an easy one.

Back to me. Now, I know in my head that I did nothing to cause my miscarriage. It is extremely common in early pregnancy, and short of not smoking crack, there's not much you can do to prevent one. (And even that's not a sure thing, since apparently crack seems to be some sort of fertility drug nowadays.) However, when this study came out, I went back to this one day during my pregnancy where I drank a cup of coffee, a glass of iced tea, then another cup of coffee. This was a lot more caffeine that I normally drank during pregnancy, but I figured one day wouldn't hurt. So now this study comes out and I have a mini-meltdown. I think back to that day and wonder, "Oh my gosh, is the m/c my fault?" Now I have NEVER thought it was my fault. I always knew that m/c was common, and I took comfort in the fact that I couldn't do anything to cause or prevent it. But the irrational side of me takes over, and I start to cry. Thankfully my husband is there to make me feel better, telling me it wasn't my fault while understanding how emotional this whole thing is. I feel like an idiot for even thinking something so ridiculous, but it's amazing how quickly you get wrapped up in the emotions.

So while I know I need to cut back on my caffeine, I also know that 1 Cafe Mocha is not going to be the end of the world. Starbucks is still safe :) Of course, you know there's going to be some idiot trying to sue Starbucks for causing her miscarriage. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my decaf and try not to live in fear.

8 comments:

Echloe said...

Those caffeine studies are so random. It seems like there is no clear answer. And I bet with everything else in life the caffeine affects different women differently. So I do agree with you that a mocha did not cause your miscarriage. And that the next one will stick, coffee or no coffee.

Meghan said...

I have learned that anything on the news is over-dramatized. Caffeine causes miscarriages yet drinking wine is safe. Makes no sense. We will get our healthy sticky babies! With or without caffeine!!

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I want not concur on it. I over polite post. Expressly the appellation attracted me to study the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

By the way, buy GSM jammer to block all secret transmitters in your room or at work.

...even me. And everybody needs a place to let it out. My blog about trying to have a baby, loss, and life in general.