Sunday, January 27, 2008

It could only happen to me

OK. So, I hate snow. I always have. I grew up in NJ and now live outside Philly, so while we're not bombarded with snow, it's not like it's a new concept to me. But I still hate it. I tried skiing a couple times in HS, and it was miserable.
My husband really likes skiing, but hasn't been in a long time and has been asking me to go for a while. We finally compromise and decide to go snow tubing with a couple of friends last night. Now, keep in mind, in addition to hating snow related activities, I'm pretty much the least adventurous person ever. I hate roller coasters, water slides, basically any sort of thrill seeking thing. I just don't like being out of control and having that "dropping" feeling. So going snow tubing was a big step for me.
I go up the hill and say to myself, "Ok, this isn't so bad. The hill's not that steep, I can do this." DH kept telling me if I wanted to slow down, I just need to dig my toes into the snow. I go down and things are going well. Since I have no idea how fast I want to go, I start digging my toes in too soon and about halfway down I'm stopped dead. Great. I'm trying to get my momentum back, when suddenly I see someone else flying past me. No, not past me, OVER me. This other woman collided into me and totally wiped out on her tube.
THEY SENT SOMEONE ELSE DOWN THE HILL BEFORE I WAS DOWN! What the F**k?? Her face banged into my boot, and she also hurt her leg. I feel like sh!t because I'm the dumbass who stopped in the middle of the slide - who does that, really? Just me. I know it wasn't my fault, because they never should have let someone else go while I was still there, but I still felt awful. We had to go down to the ski patrol office to file a report and get the other woman checked out. She had a scrape on her face and will most certainly have a nice shiner courtsey of my boot.
And yes, this was my FIRST time snow tubing, our first round down the hill. Quite an experience. Just when I thought this was going to be fun, something like this happens.
After we got done with snow patrol DH asked if I wanted to go down again. Uh, no!! But I felt bad that my friends only got one time down, so I insisted that they all go again at least once. Dh felt bad leaving me alone, but I wanted them to go at least one more time. So they go for one more time and I go in the lodge and get coffee and a cookie. Much better :) After their second time down, we decided to go to our friends' house and drink instead. MUCH better!!
So in addition to getting my period yesterday and moving on to Cycle 15, I'm involved in a rare snow tubing collision. Quite a day for me!

No comments:

...even me. And everybody needs a place to let it out. My blog about trying to have a baby, loss, and life in general.